9/21/2005

Random Quote Text


So I don’t really care about bums. At least I didn’t think I did until the last few days. Recently, I’ve been stumbling upon bum-exploitation and bum interest sites on the internet.

Last night, or maybe it was Monday, on the Daily Show they showed a business owner who is using bums to sell his poker web site. Yes, he’s actually exploiting bums by giving them three bucks an hour and beer to hold signs.

I know we see this around Austin. I actually don’t know if they are bums or not but they are surely seedy…so what do you guys think? Should we exploit homeless men and women to turn a profit?

Would you go to OctoberHost.com if I started exploiting bums?

Me personally, I think it works against your business. I don’t want my company name associated with someone who people believe are less than human. (fuck the people)

Here the link for the company that has actually trade marked Bumvertising.

Also I’ve stumbled upon a blog from some hip indie kid who thought it would be funny to do a social experiment where he panhandles for a living. You can tell this kid is actually rich and that this is a social experiment because he posts on his laptop like crazy and often dresses in outrageous get ups to try and make more money.

It’s interesting but something tells me that we’ve gone too far with the internet. Why do I find a guy trying to make a living off panhandling so engaging?

Are we really so interested in what it’s like to be of a lower social status? I mean do you think the roman nobles wondered the streets pretending to be a commoner. I doubt it. The more successful are not supposed to experiment with what it’s like to be poor. The term is trickle down economics not piss up hill economics. If you’ve made it to a point where you don’t need to panhandle embrace it. Don’t quit your high paying job so you can be a social scientist.

But it’s still a funny read so here is the link

Next there’ll be a blog about what it’s like to be retarded from someone who’s not retarded. Those posts will probably be worth a laugh or two. One positive is that retard people don’t read the internet…I mean Steven Hawkins can…but most don’t.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Steven Hawkins? And all this time I've been told he was a genius.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

http://www.nataliedee.com/092105/coin-collecting.jpg

6:44 PM  
Blogger thepanhandler said...

Hi. Hip indie kid here.

Rich? I make $12 an hour and I have health benefits, so yes, rich compared to many, but not in the way I believe you are implying. I prioritized the laptop becuase I write, a-lot, so I have it instead of a reliable car or a bigger apartment. Go to www.rockass.net/allmyjobs find out all about my trust fund life.

I'm not writing about what it's like to be a bum. I am exploring the urban myth of the supposedly common panhandler who is earning a good living with it. I wanted to know firsthand how much could be made, and after finding out, not much, I wondered, "Just what would it take to make a decent living at this?" hence the costumes, loaned to be by my friend with a costume shop, the internet panhandling etc.

We've also interviewed cops, panhandlers, and everyday folks from every walk of life about panhandlng attitudes, laws, etc. for a documentary that we're shooting.

You can "tell that this is a social experiment", as you say, because I say it is. I never claim to be desperate, in fact I posted a disclaimer on a recent post stating that I wasn't.

Anyway, I'm glad you got some laughs out of the site. There's also some kind of depressing stuff on there, but that stuff shows up better in the documentary as I prefer to let people speak for themselves on camera than to try and translate it onto the blog.

I think it's perfectly healthy for the rich to wonder about the lives of the poor. I wish more rich and middle class people really thought about the lives of those who have less. Walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that.

Peace,
the Panhandling Indie Kid (totally flattering, as I'm about to turn 34)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Earthman Xosha Rosp said...

Uh, just to join the parade here, the Romans quite frequently went slumming. So frequently, in fact, that there was a holiday dedicated to it. I don't have the name, but Christianity converted it into 12th night, which is still celebrated in Europe, though it has faded from view in North America.

On this holiday, the Romans would essentially trade places and status with their slaves for the day, taking slumming to the extreme.

Slumming isn't a modern concept at all.

10:26 AM  
Blogger The Rev said...

That hip indie kid is my brother, and he is far from rich, he drives a crappy car, works for a construction company, and makes many sacrifices to be able to write and follow his art wherever it takes him.

And as for his making money off exploiting homeless people, he gives every penny he makes on his experiment to charity.

the rev

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your a f**king moron-Steven Hawkins IS a genius, and IS NOT "retard(sic)". He has Lou Gerig's disease...at least he has an excuse for his physical disability. What lame excuse do you have for your stupidity and poor grammar?

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home